What is the difference between red vs white dragon fruit? What is the nutritional composition of red flesh dragon fruit, what are the health benefits? Let’s find out the article with Long Produce below.
- 1/ Red vs white dragon fruit: How to distinguish shape and taste
- 2/ Compare the difference between red vs white dragon fruit
- 3/ Facts about red dragon fruit
- 4/ What are red vs white dragon fruit tastes?
- 5/ The nutritional content of red dragon fruit
- 6/ Health benefits of red dragon fruit
- Bottom line
1/ Red vs white dragon fruit: How to distinguish shape and taste
Although the appearance is quite similar, we can completely distinguish red vs white dragon fruit in terms of shape and taste.
The shape of the fruit
Red dragon fruit has round fruit, ears are curved towards the fruit stalk, red makes up the majority. Meanwhile, the white flesh dragon fruit has an elliptical shape, long ears, and is usually green.
When cutting dragon fruit, we will easily recognize the difference. Red flesh dragon fruit has dark red flesh inside, gradually turning a dark purple. For white flesh dragon fruit, the flesh is simple white, the seeds are prominent.
The taste of red vs white dragon fruit is quite different. Red dragon fruit has a sweet taste with about 15% sugar.
Dragon fruit flesh also has a sweet taste but less, the number of sugar accounts for about 10%.
2/ Compare the difference between red vs white dragon fruit
|Characteristics||White dragon fruit||Red dragon fruit|
|Colour||red shell, white flesh||red shell, red flesh|
|Shape||elliptical, long, and pointed ears||the fruit is round, the ears are curved, towards the fruit stalk|
|Smell||sweet taste||sweet taste|
|Sugar content||sugar accounts for about 10%||sugar accounts for about 15%|
3/ Facts about red dragon fruit
Dragon fruit red is a plant grown mainly for its fruit and is also the name of several genera of the cactus family. Dragon fruit is a native plant in Mexico, Central American, and South American countries.
Currently, these plants are also grown in countries in Southeast Asia such as Vietnam, Malaysia, Thailand, the Philippines, Indonesia; southern China, Taiwan and some other areas.
Dragon fruit has 3 popular types based on color, which are:
- Red dragon fruit with white flesh
- Red dragon fruit with red flesh
- Yellow dragon fruit with white flesh
Which, red vs white dragon fruit are the two most popular types.
>>> READ MORE: Which Is The Best Dragon Fruit Seasonality?
4/ What are red vs white dragon fruit tastes?
Dragon fruit has a refreshing sweetness and is described as a combination of the flavors of a kiwi and a pear. It can be used to process many delicious drinks and dishes such as dragon fruit smoothie, dragon fruit juice, dragon fruit tea, dragon fruit cake, dragon fruit jam,…
5/ The nutritional content of red dragon fruit
Red dragon fruit contains about 60 calories/fruit, rich in vitamins C, B1, B2 and B3, along with minerals such as iron, calcium and phosphorus. 100g of fruit will provide about 21 mg of vitamin C, equivalent to 34% of the daily value of vitamin C.
A small comparison shows that dragon fruit contains less than half the amount of vitamin C found in an orange, but more than 3 times larger than carrots.
6/ Health benefits of red dragon fruit
Thanks to its high nutritional content, red dragon fruit offers many health benefits:
- Good control of blood sugar
- Lower cholesterol
- Provides fat and protein for the body
- Rich in antioxidants, good for skin
- Prevent arthritis
- Improve heart health
Choose red dragon fruit so delicious?
When choosing red dragon fruit, we should pay attention to freshness, whether the stem is wilted or not, whether the color is fresh or not. The more succulent the dragon fruit, the fresher it is, the more delicious it is.
In addition to red dragon fruit, there is also a yellow dragon fruit. The taste is a little sweeter than the two above and the fruit has a nice golden color.
Ways to eat dragon fruit
- Eaten directly, more delicious when chilled.
- Used as raw material, flavoring for cakes and pieces of bread.
- Used to flavor drinks, sodas, cocktails.
- Can be eaten with vegetable salads.
- Combine with some ingredients to make jelly and jam.
- Can be used to ferment to make wine or juice.
Things to pay attention to when eating dragon fruit:
- People with diarrhea should not eat dragon fruit.
- Women should not eat dragon fruit during their menstrual cycle.
- People with depression, blood stasis, and phlegm should also not eat a lot of dragon fruit.
- Dragon fruit contains a lot of vegetable protein, pregnant women are prone to allergies, should consider it before eating.
Red vs white dragon fruit are nutritious fruits, very good for dessert on hot weather days. In addition, dragon fruit can also be processed into jams, syrups, ice cream or smoothies,… try it now!
>>> BUY NOW:
- Yellow Dragon Fruit vs Red: How to Distinguish in Shape and Taste